Monday, January 30, 2012

A Super Bowl Week Rant

Sorry, I know you have questions outstanding but this will be quick...

I am such a pragmatic fan that I rarely have a problem with people questioning or criticizing my teams. In fact I'm more likely to think my teams are much worse than they are as opposed to overstating their qualities (ex. Texas football '09)

That being said I have had enough of everyone acting like the Patriots, and to a lesser degree the Giants, backed their way into this Super Bowl and don't deserve it.

I get it, the Patriots defense is not going to remind anyone of the '86 Bears. And yes, the Giants lost to the Redskins...twice. Brady played poorly against the Ravens, I know I watched, thank you for pointing that out again...

BUT the Patriots went (bleeping!) 13-3. They had homefield throughout the playoffs and beat the last eight teams on their schedule. Is it their fault that their division stunk? I've heard the stat that they hadn't beaten a team with a winning record until the AFC championship game about a gazillion times this week. Did anyone even look at their schedule?

They won 13 games. Guess how many were against teams with LOSING records...

Six.

So, using advanced mathematical calculations, that means that the Patriots won seven games against teams there were 8-8, then beat one of those 8-8 teams (with Jesus against them no less) for a second time in the Divisional round and a 12-4 team in the AFC championship.

....THAT IS NOT A SOFT SCHEDULE!

And even if it was there's more! Given how horrendous the Patriots defense was you'd probably assume that their point differential isn't pretty right? ... Well you'd be totally wrong. They were +171 for the year, meaning they outscored their opponents by 171 over the course of the season... That would be next to impossible if your defense can't ever stop anyone, right?

But surely those awesome teams in Pittsburgh and Baltimore had better point differentials right? WRONG! Baltimore was +112 and Pittsburgh was +98... Not even close. In fact nobody in the AFC had a better differential and only New Orleans and Green Bay were better in the NFL.

So spare me this bullshit about how New England got all the breaks and are just lucky to be in the Super Bowl. They were the best team in the AFC and they still are the best team in the AFC. If Pittsburgh were healthy that might be one thing, but they're not, so shut the fuck up already. Cundiff missed a kick that helped, I won't debate that point. But are we assuming that they definitely would have lost in overtime at home? With that offense? Puhlease...

I think the Giants are getting a little bit screwed too but I'm all ranted out...

(middle finger raised)

No comments: