Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I'm Shocked!


Sigh...

No I'm not.

1.1 innings, 7 hits, and 7 earned runs.

I'm not going to do what you think I'm going to do. I'm not going to blast Wells for being a fat, useless, Yankee loving, drunk that rushed back too soon from his foot injury to ensure that he makes the requisite number of starts to trigger his salary bonus. I'm not going to do that.

Okay maybe I just did, but I'm only going to say it that once. And believe me I'm showing an awful lot of restraint here since I can't stand this guy to begin with and his performance today is just begging to be blasted.

So since I am not letting myself fly off the handle I will merely present these facts to accentuate how truly deplorable Wells' performance was.

The A's have quite possibly the worst offense in the A.L. and certainly have the worst of the teams the Red Sox have faced thus far. Coming into today, as a team, they were batting .238 with a tawdry OPS of .655. Overall they rank 29th out of 30 in team batting. They are 29th in runs, 27th in hits, 28th in doubles, last in home runs, last in total bases, 29th in RBI, last in batting average, 25th in on base percentage, last in slugging (by almost 30 points), and last in OPS.

So how, pray-tell do you give up 7 runs in 1.1 innings to a team that is last in 5 out of 10 offensive categories?

You pitch hurt, you pitch out of shape, and you pitch with no desire to be in your uniform, that's how.

I'm telling you right now the Wells signing is going to end up looking about as good as the Mo Vaughn signing looks to Mets fans. (Okay nothing will ever look that bad...) It's one thing if Theo has a thing for fat girls, no problem, but fat guys? This is way beyond the moped rule Theo, all of your friends have found out.

No comments: