Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Super-Yawn-Bowl

Post-publish Edit: I swear on a book holier than the Bible that I did not know that I had essentially copied this title and subject from one of my least favorite sports writers in the country, Skip Bayless. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually agree with the majority of his article. He wrote it for ESPN's Page 2 earlier in the week, and despite a few Skippy-isms he is not completely out to lunch on this one. How obvious is the boredom factor of this Super Bowl if Skippy can nail it? Yikes. On the brightside you can check out one of my favority writers DJGallo's piece from the same day while you're on Monday's Page 2 (or just click the link dummy). Sorry for once again signalling the apocalypse.

I can't get into this Super Bowl. I've tried, and am still trying but I'm getting nowhere. I just took a shot at reading Len Pasquerelli's ESPN.com article about Dick LeBeau and his defensive schemes, yawn. I wanted initially to follow media day, but who cares what Matt Hasselbeck has to say? Joey Porter and Jerramy (yup that's how you spell it...) Stevens going back and forth, nope, that doesn't even get me sitting up in my chair. It's boooorring to watch 2 teams talk back and forth about one fat veteran who happens to be playing in his hometown when you're used to watching your team out there dancing around loaded questions and hitting up the Bowl week parties. I'm sorry Pittsburgh and Seattle, but I just can't force myself. Of course I'll watch the game but unless I bet on it (which given my current employment status would be a bad idea) I won't have any more than a passing interest. Does that make me a bad sports fan?

That being said all is not lost in the world of sports. Tonight BC faces its biggest test of the season as #2 Duke and J.J. Reddick come to Conte Forum. I was shocked when I looked up the line on this game a few hours ago and it was at Duke -4. How are they only favored by 4? I know BC is at home but by all rights the Blue Devils should wallop the Eagles and then some, especially coming on the heels (not directly) of a loss at Georgetown.

The problem for BC as I see it is this. J.J. Reddick presents massive matchup disadvantages for everyone on their roster. Shawn Marshall will get the assignment of covering him but he might not be quick enough to stay with him around the 47 screens they run for him each possession. You have to cover him from 8 feet beyond the 3 point line and in, and he is still going to get his points even if you are in his shorts from that range. They can't put anyone else on him for the duration of the game because he's too big for Rice or Hinnant to shadow him around the court and too quick with the dribble for Dudley to try body him up.

Let's just assume they don't stop Reddick, no one has, but that they are able to hold him under 30. There is still another huge problem, the matchup of Craig Smith and Sheldon Williams. In short this is Smith's worst nightmare. Williams is taller, as are most interior players, but he also has the strength to bang Smith right off the box. Craig's main advantage is normally his bulk, Williams matches it and maybe surpasses it and is able to block a lot of shots with his height and incredibly long arms. On the defensive end you can reverse the problem, Williams is too tall for Smith, (although BC's Sean Williams could be effective on him if he sees some quality minutes) to stop him from going over the top and strong enough to make solid moves to the basket. As much as I harp on Smith not playing like a first team All-American (and he hasn't) his effectiveness against Williams on both ends of the floor will in great measure determine BC's ability to stay in the game.

To have a chance tonight BC needs to forget about ACC style basketball. They need to revert to the banging physcial style of the Big East and knock the Blue Devils around all night, regardless of foul trouble. Duke, aside from Williams, is a finesse team. Reddick doesn't like to get knocked down, nor do Melchionni, Paulus, or Dockery. Duke's offense runs in rhythm and physcially disrupting that rhythm is the best chance BC has of pulling the upset. They also have to limit the 3 point attempts on both ends of the floor. Everyone on Duke's roster including Williams can hit the 3. The Eagles on the other hand need to stay close enough so that they don't have to shoot the 3 because that is not their strength by any means. My strategy defensively would be to absolutely swarm the outside, leaving the interior up to Smith or Williams. Duke's shooting prowess can put you away so quickly, I would rather take that away and force them to beat me from the inside...which they can probably do anyway, but you have to try something.

Either way, this game should be a glimpse of what Conte Forum could be like if BC manages to create a big time basketball venue. It might even remind us of North Carolina or Maryland. Take notes Gene D.

No comments: