Friday, December 16, 2011

Do you think the Pats will be able to freeze Tebow Time?

I had this conversation last night...

The short answer is yes, I think the Patriots will win on Sunday and put the Tebow mania on hold for a week.

However, I'm scared. I feel about this game the way I feel when they play the Jets. I know the Patriots are better and I know that they should win. But I'm not convinced that they will. And it's compounded by how badly I want them to stomp the Broncos and shut-up Tebow's Bible thumping minions for a few days.

The problem is that right now New England's defense is really good at making opposing quarterbacks looks good. Rex Grossman went up and down the field on them last week and made it look easy. Without a lucky bounce on the last possession that game is probably headed to overtime. Tebow isn't as good as Grossman but he doesn't need to be because Denver's defense is much better than Washington's.

I know everyone thinks the Patriots are going to come out and put their foot down right from kickoff, and I hope they're right. I'm just not convinced that they can get enough stops to build the huge lead that it would take for me to be comfortable in the fourth quarter. If it comes down to Tebow-time it's going to be one stressful scene in Bar 96... I'll take Brady-time over Tebow-time every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but still it's hard to game plan for magic and fairy dust which is what the Broncos have seemingly been winning on.

On a slight aside I think this game will actually be a good test for Tebow. If he can't move the ball for three quarters against the putrid Patriots defense then he just isn't any good. EVERYONE has been gashing this defense, particularly through the air. You have to figure the Pats are going to do everything they can to make him throw it (surprisingly their rush defense is not nearly as bad as their pass defense) and if he struggles it will go a long way towards proving his ultimate ineptitude. If he has some success, like I think he will, it will fuel his blind devotees even more but I really don't care as long as the Patriots come home from Denver at 11-3.

No comments: